A weekend full of family fun and honest local thrills will be enjoyed by many as Kindersley’s 2017 Goose Festival kicks off next Thursday on September 21.
From the goose plucking and potato peeling on Thursday to the “Goose Fest” dance Saturday evening to the Antique Thrashing Demo on Sunday, this festival promises a little bit for everyone in the community.
“Our aim this year is to have a little bit for everyone,” said Heather Wall, executive director of the Kindersley Chamber of Commerce. I think they certainly have pulled it off this year, take a look at the list of events from Thursday, September 21, to Sunday, September 24.
Thursday kicks off the festival with annual events mixed with new
- Pie Eating Contest at 5:15 p.m., sponsored by Synergy Credit Union, at the Kindersley Downtown Stage, followed by the
- Goose Plucking and Potato Peeling contests at 6:00 p.m.
- An egg drop, sponsored by Coop and Weekly Bean, winners bring home vouchers for free groceries.
- A hamburger cook up by K-Town Skyscrapers
- Positive ticketing will end off with a presentation of awards, including a brand-new bike to the lucky winner
- A local craft and art show will be in the Kindersley Mall from 12:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Friday features hockey, football, pickle-ball and slow-pitch games as well as a screen arts film.
- “The basics of pickle-ball,” a new event will be at the outdoor rink by West Central Events Centre
- Caleb Village will be hosting tours throughout the day,
- Local craft and art show will continue at the Kindersley Mall
- Kindersley Cobras will play a rousing football match with Martinsville at the Rotary Park
- Karaoke Contest will feature local talent at the Kindersley Mall 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Heavy Horse Pull by Peavey Mart at 6:00 p.m.
- 2nd Annual K-town Shakedown slow-pitch ball tournament
- K-Town Skyscraper RC Model Plane Club Fun Fly behind the Kindersley Trailer Court
- Kindersley Screen Arts will present “The Big Sick”
- Kindersley Klippers versus Estevan Bruins at the West Central Events Centre (WCEC)
Saturday is the biggest day of the festival, featuring the parade, car and motorcycle shows, heavy horse pulls, a mini family carnival and of course the legendary Goose Festival Dance.
- Goose festival parade at 11:00 a.m. The Parade route will be extended this year. Starting at Railway Avenue it will progress down Main Street, turn to 10th Avenue West before running south on 1st Street West towards the hospital
- Heavy Horse Pull will continue the competition at 1:00 p.m.
- Antique car show on the south end of Main Street
- Motorcycle show and shine by Kindersley Red Lion
- Rock climbing walls
- Belly Dancing Demonstration
- Dunk tank at the Kindersley & District Museum
- The Main Street Downtown stage will have live entertainment
- Local Craft and Art continues at Kindersley Mall
- Brethren in Christ Church will host a FREE pork and corn roast
- Goose Fest Dance, featuring the BCDC band for live music at the WCEC starting 9:00 p.m.
Sunday starts with pancakes and ends with pie; featuring another RC Fun Fly and an Antique Thrashing Demonstration.
- “Fly in” Pancake breakfast, hosted by the Air Cadets, will be at the Kindersley Airport from 8:30 -11:30 a.m.
- K-Town Skyscraper RC will host another fun fly behind the Kindersley Trailer Court
- Antique thrashing demonstration by Kindersley & District Plains Museum, starting at 12 p.m., bring a chair or blanket and purchase some coffee, pie, and ice cream for only $5.00.
Throughout the whole weekend amazing food venues will be out to tempt one and all to taste fudge, cotton candy, or yet another flavour of mini donuts. Bouncy Castles will keep little bodies happy and moving during the day.
“The chamber of commerce would like to send a big shout out to all of our sponsors,” added Wall. “Without businesses supporting the various events, or donating parking space for the downtown stage, this event would not be able to carry on.”
So mark off your calendars this weekend, and bring out the whole clan to celebrate Kindersley annual Goose Festival.
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley, ‘Like’ our Facebook page below…