Healthy eating is more than the foods you eat. It’s also about where, when, why and how you eat.
Here are 10 ways you can start eating healthily right now:
1. Be mindful of your eating habits. Take time to eat and notice when you are hungry and when you are full.
2. Cook more often. Cooking and preparing food can support healthy eating habits.
3. Plan what you eat and involve others in planning and preparing meals. A little planning goes a long way in helping to develop and maintain healthy eating habits.
4. Eat meals with others. Enjoying healthy foods with family, friends, neighbours or co-workers is a great way to connect and add enjoyment to your life.
5. Make it a habit to eat a variety of healthy foods each day. Eat vegetables and fruits, whole grain foods and protein foods. Among protein foods, choose those that come from plants more often. Protein foods include beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, lean meats and poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, lower fat milk and lower fat dairy products.
6. Choose foods with healthy fats instead of saturated fat. Choosing foods that contain mostly healthy fats can help lower your risk of heart disease.
7. Limit highly processed foods. If you choose these foods, eat them less often and in small amounts.
8. Prepare meals and snacks using ingredients that have little to no added sodium, sugars or saturated fat.
9. What you drink is as important as what you eat. Make water your drink of choice. Replacing sugary drinks with water can have a positive impact on your overall health.
10. Use food labels to compare and choose products, so that you can make an informed choice.
Follow Canada’s food guide to help you eat well and live well. Get more information at Canada.ca/FoodGuide.
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley ‘Like’ the Kindersley Social Facebook page below…