By Mallorie Rast
On August 31st, the SHSAA released a 19-page document outlining their Return to School Sports Plan, giving the Kindersley Kobras a better look at their sports season this year.
Some of the notable mandates from SHSAA were, not surprisingly–mask use for sports that cannot maintain social distance and for players and administrative personnel that are not actively taking part in the game. The document also discouraged spectators from attending games. In a humorous twist, the document noted that if spectators do attend games, they are to refrain from cheering and whistling; to avoid accidental spitting and/or from exhaling forcefully enough to carry their breath to another spectator beside them.
Other notable changes are the pushed back start dates for the season, the complete closure of golf for the 2020-2021 season, and the cancellation of playoffs and provincial championships for the fall season. The document lists the dual reason for this last decision as the championships would exceed the maximum number of persons in a gathering, and that the current mandate by provincial Sports and Activities Guidelines states that there are no competitions allowed between mini-leagues.
A summary of the sport start dates is as follows:
- Golf: Canceled
- Cross Country: September 28th- October 17th, 2020
- Soccer: September 28th- October 31st, 2020
- Football: September 28th- November 14th, 2020
- Volleyball: October 13th- November 28th, 2020
- Curling (Current season of play: November 9th – March 6th)
- Wrestling (Current season of play: November 23rd – March 6th)
- Basketball (Current season of play: November 23rd – March 27th)
- Badminton (Current season of play: February 1st – May 8th)
- Track & Field (Current season of play: March 29th – June 5th)
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley ‘Like’ the Kindersley Social Facebook page below…