A weekend full of family fun and local thrills will be enjoyed by many as Kindersley’s 2018 Goose Festival kicks off next Thursday on September 20.
From the goose plucking and potato peeling on Thursday, the heavy horse pulls on Friday, the “Goose Fest” dance Saturday evening to the Antique Thrashing Demo on Sunday; this festival promises a little bit for everyone in the community.
“As always, our aim is to have a little bit for everyone,” said Denise Sarada, executive director of the Kindersley Chamber of Commerce. From the looks of the schedule, it seems they certainly have pulled it off this year. See for yourself the list of events from Thursday, September 20, to Sunday, September 23.
Thursday kicks off the festival with infamous annual events. Not only will the goose plucking and potato peeling events draw adventurous contestants, but also the 2017 winners of both contests are returning to defend their titles.
- Food vendors will fire up their grills on Main Street around 4:00 p.m. and the Mini Donut truck will be available to tempt all to put their diet plan on extreme hold.
- The Pie Eating Contest, sponsored by Synergy Credit Union, will be at the Kindersley Downtown Stage, located at the Supreme Source parking lot.
- The Goose Plucking and Potato Peeling contests will start around 6:00 p.m., also at the Kindersley Downtown Stage.
- Positive ticketing will end off the evening with a presentation of awards, featuring a brand-new bike, or a Pool Party at the Kindersley Inn to the lucky winners.
- A baking contest will also be held at the Kindersley Downtown Stage with entries running in both the Adult and Child divisions.
Friday features the skill and talent of the area, as hockey and football games, a heavy horse pull, and a Karaoke contest fill the evening.
- Kindersley Cobras under the lights on the Rotary Field 7:00 p.m.
- Karaoke Contest will feature local talent at the Kindersley Mall 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Heavy Horse Pull by Peavey Mart at 6:00 p.m.
- Kindersley Klippers versus Melfort Mustangs at the West Central Events Centre (WCEC) 7:30 p.m.
Saturday is the biggest day of the festival, featuring the parade, car and motorcycle shows, heavy horse pulls, a mini family carnival and of course the legendary Goose Festival Dance.
- All day smartphone scavenger hunt.
- Food vendors down Main Street throughout the day.
- Pancake Breakfast at the Anglican Church 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Flying Demo by the Ktown Scrapers from 10:00 a.m. to dusk on the RC Field just outside of the Golf View Trailer Court.
- Goose festival parade at 11:00 a.m. the Parade route will return to the usual route this year.
- Heavy Horse Pull will continue the competition started on Friday at 1:00 p.m.
- Antique car show on the south end of Main Street.
- Motorcycle show and shine by Kindersley Red Lion.
- Rock climbing walls and bouncy castles throughout Main Street.
- Belly Dancing Demonstration by the Credit Union.
- The Main Street Downtown stage will have live entertainment.
- Quilt Show at the United Church.
- KAWS will be hosting adoptions at the PetValu store.
- Spin to Win at the Country 104 station.
- Karaoke finals at the Kindersley Mall from 2-4 p.m.
- Kindersley Screen Arts featuring “Finding your Feet” 4:00 p.m.
- NHL and Klipper Alumni game and supper at the WCEC at 4:00 p.m.
- Goose Fest Dance, featuring the BCDC band for live music at the WCEC starting 9:00 p.m.
The Chamber is on the lookout for folks to volunteer time and animals for a petting zoo near the PetValu store, anyone interested in the venture should contact Denise at 306-460-6116
Sunday starts with pancakes and ends with pie; featuring another RC Fun Fly and an Antique Thrashing Demonstration.
- Kids Skills Camp with the NHL at the WCEC 8:00 a.m.
- “Fly in” Pancake breakfast, hosted by the Air Cadets, will be at the Kindersley Airport from 9:00 -11:30 a.m.
- Community Worship and interdenominational worship service will be held at Baker’s Park or the Clearview Community Church, weather depending, lunch to follow.
- K-Town Skyscraper RC will host another fun fly behind the Kindersley Trailer Court.
- Clay Busters will host a fun afternoon of shooting out at the Kindersley area gun range from 12:00-5:00 p.m, bring your own guns or borrow one from a member to try your hand at the range.
- Antique thrashing demonstration by Kindersley & District Plains Museum, 11:00 a.m.- 4 p.m., bring a chair or blanket and enjoy the sites and horse rides.
Throughout the whole weekend, amazing food venues will be out to tempt one and all to taste fudge, cotton candy, or yet another flavor of mini donuts.
“The chamber of commerce would like to send a big shout out to all of our sponsors,” Denise added. “Without businesses supporting the various events, or donating parking space for the downtown stage, this event would not be able to carry on.”
So mark off your calendars for the coming weekend, and bring out the whole clan to celebrate Kindersley’s annual Goose Festival.
For the latest information and for more updates on everything Kindersley ‘Like’ the Kindersley Social Facebook page below…